Reading List: Startup Fundraising
A curated list of our favorite content for attracting investment and navigating your way through the fundraising process.
From the Visible Foreword:
- Flying for Money: How to Raise Series A and B Outside Silicon Valley - Guy Turner of Hyde Park Venture Partners shares what it takes to raise venture capital outside of Silicon Valley in 10 steps.
- For Fundraising, Seed is No Longer a Round, It's a Phase - Hunter Walk of Homebrew makes the case why your seed round is a "phase" where you learn and iterate on your business so you can raise a Series A round and scale.
- The Top 3 Things Investors are Looking for in SaaS Startups - Christoph Janz of Point Nine Capital explores the current climate of SaaS fundraising and what it will take for companies to raise in 2018.
- The State of Entrepreneurship - In a sit down with Co-Founder Magazine, Steve Blank shares his take on the current environment for startups and early stage companies.
- (Almost) Everything You Need to Know When Your Convertible Notes are Approaching Maturity - Brian Parks of Bigfoot Capital discusses the different paths you can take when your convertible note maturity date is approaching.
- Do’s and Don’ts of Venture Seed Fundraising - Dave Parker of Seven Peaks Ventures makes the case why fundraising is a process and not an event.
- More Answers to Your Build the Perfect Pitch Questions - Tina Wink shares the ins and outs of fundraising and perfecting your pitch.
- Time and Money Fred Wilson of Union Square Ventures analyzes the value of time when evaluating potential companies and investment.
- Pitch Deck Alternatives Fred Wilson of Union Square Ventures makes the case for three creative alternatives to a standard pitch deck.
- A Founder's Guideline to Debt Financing Mesh Lakhani of Mark 2 Capital discusses the ins and outs of debt financing and lays out expectations, reasoning, and pricing for debt financing.
- How to Build a Relationship with the Right VC Partners While Focusing on Your Business Ariel Winton of OpenView Ventures breaks down how founders can remained focused on their business while building relationships with investors and potential investors.
- Some Advice Before You Hit the Fund Raising Trail - In part 1 of a 13 part series, Mark Suster of Upfront Ventures offers advice for handling the imminent "No" that founders hear over and over again.
- What Kind of Seed Round Should You Raise - Rob Go of NextView Ventures breaks down what it takes to raise different forms of early stage capital.
- Paul Graham of YCombinator has seen his share of pitches and imparts some wisdom on what it takes to convince investors.
- LinkedIn Founder Reid Hoffman shares the company's Series B pitch deck and adds context to what it took for the company to pull off a successful pitch.
- Knowing what questions you might be asked by potential investors during a pitch can help frame your story. Here are 7 questions every company should be prepared to answer according to Tomasz Tunguz.
- Bobby Pinero, Head of Finance & Analytics at Intercom runs through the SaaS metrics that investors care about when evaluating a startup company.
- Putting yourself in the shoes of the investor you are pitching is the best way make sure you properly target your company story.
- In an interview with Intercom's John Collins, Mamoon Hamid of SocialCapital goes into his firm's investment thesis and talks about what they looks for in company's they back.
- Jason Lemkin on why to treat fundraising like a sales process and the importance of doing it 52 weeks per year.
- Examples are always helpful and CB Insights shares 5 great early startup pitch decks of billion dollar companies.